Friday, June 1, 2007

Review - Amy Winehouse


Amy Winehouse
Back to Black
Republic
2007




Grade: C -




Apparently the deal with her song “Rehab” is she drank way too much so her label suggested she go to rehab for her drinking problem. In response to this she found a new label. I guess that was her way to say ‘no no no’.

A funny thing about Amy Winehouse is she reminds me of Shirley Bassey and she’s been rumored to be doing (a) song/s for the next bond film (she also mentions Roger Moore in “You Know I‘m No Good“).

I like the production of this album, the instrumentation is done well and it has some good beats. Her voice is a bit win some/ lose some for me. In some songs it really adds to it, in others it seems to take away from it. A perfect example of this is in the single “Rehab” where that line ‘they tried to make me go to rehab’ just sounds like it’s in a forced fake tone. In the second track “You Know I’m No Good” it all really comes together for her, it’s a really solid track with great vocals. A few of the tracks have a cool 50’s/60’s vibe. This album also contains lyrics that are quite intriguing such as “ …kept his dick wet with his same old safe bet” and “what kind of fuckery is this”. If you ‘re not a fan of the song “Rehab” don’t be put off of this album, it’s easily the weakest track on the album. Oh, and if you’re not a fan of ska stay away from the song “Just Friends”, it has a horn part that has a definite ska feel to it. I’m not going to hold it against her that the song has a ska feel, I just can’t get into it because of it.

This album has good production and lyrics(most of the time), but it seems like something is missing. Also, whoever chose “Rehab” as a single is insane. This album is really nothing to rave about, I like some songs, but I doubt I’ll be listening to this whole album all the way through ever again.




If you want to see something Amy Winehouse related that is both funny and horrifying check this video out.

No comments: