Monday, June 4, 2007

Review - Handsome Furs


Handsome Furs
Plague Park
Sub Pop
2007


Grade: D +


Handsome Furs are a male/female duo who are actually a couple this time, they’re engaged. The male half of the duo is Dan Boeckner, one of the two singers of Wolf Parade, so if that music isn’t really your bag you probably won’t dig this either as it is similar. They use mostly drum machine, keyboard, and guitar to capture their sound. It’s different while it at the same time reminding me of The Fiery Furnaces music. Toward the beginning of the album I embraced their difference and thought it’d be a good thing. I liked the minimalist approach some of the songs took, but throughout the album the music started to bore me. A lot of the songs are hit or miss, and unfortunately the majority of them were misses for me.

No comments: