Monday, June 4, 2007

Review - Pelican


Pelican
City of Echoes
Hydrahead
2007



Grade: B -


In the beginning of reviewing this I started to think maybe I don’t like Pelican as much as I thought I did. I’d felt like they’d done this before and had done it better. I remember thinking City of Echoes lacks the great dueling guitar parts that made Pelican’s previous two albums great. Then came the acoustic song in the middle of the album (track 4) it greatly helped in the efforts to save the album for me. Sure, Pelican has done acoustic before, but this is easily the best song on the 'A' side of this album.

As the album progresses it gets better. Opposite to the way most other albums are set up this one comes on weak and finishes strong. Just when you think this is a dud it comes back to show you what it’s really made of. The first couple tracks on this one had me scared for a bit, but the last few reeled me back in. This still isn’t as good in comparison to their first two albums, because of how great they were, but it’s definitely worth a listen.

No comments: