Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Classic Review - Cluster


Cluster
Zuckerzeit
Universal
1974/2005


Grade: D



This is a reissue of a 1974 album. It has been remastered and repackaged.

This is an instrumental band that stems from obvious electronic influences. Their song structure is rather repetitive and may get to you fast if you're not normally into music without lyrics.
At the beginning of this album I thought it sounded like It’d be good. I think that’s most bands ideas when they choose the opening track for their album though. After the first track I found it rather hard to get into the whole vibe of the album. I kept feeling let down. The music made it seem like it was building toward something when it wasn’t. Maybe that was my fault for having expectations of the repetitive sections (which pretty much describe every song). But, to me they sounded as though they could have used a change in sounds throughout their songs, maybe even once in a while. The middle of the album got softer and kind of boring. Then the last track picked up a bit in pace, like they knew they might have put you to sleep and now they wanted to wake you up, if even just to piss you off.

This album makes me feel like I’m waiting for something that’s not coming. It’s the musical equivalent of blue balls. Well, maybe not THAT bad.

No comments: