Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Review / "We'll See About That" Review - The Stooges

To preface this, this review is a little bit of an original review and a little bit of my take on something I've read a review about. I heard the album in question before I read any reviews for it, but I didn't write about it at the time. Even still, this album had such an effect on me after hearing it that I remember how I felt about it quite well. From reading reviews and seeing what people think about it, I feel as though i should add my 2 cents.




The Stooges
The Weirdness
Virgin
2007



Grade: F -


This album is so fucking bad it makes me question how The Stooges got to this point. The Stooges are one of the greatest punk bands of all time. I might even go as far as saying they're my favorite punk band ever. Their first album was released 38 years ago and their last album 34. 34 years is a long time to fuck up your vibe, and boy did they fuck up their vibe HARD. I really wonder how they did it though. "The Stooges, "Fun House" and "Raw Power" are all such great albums(If you're reading this and you don't have those, get them now!!). I guess their ability to write great songs died with Dave Alexander (their original bass player).

A lot of the reviews I have read say how much this album is a pile of dog shit.... and i couldn't agree more. I almost want them to respond to the critical pressure they've been getting and try to write better songs for another album. But, I know better than that and know that they should just officially retire the band. Either that or try to build a time machine so they can fix their mess.

I wonder what was going through Steve Albini's head when he was recording this. Do you think he was like "yeah guys!! This is fucking great stuff!!" ? I also wonder if this album would have been any different if Jack White played bass on it instead of Mike Watt. I've never known Jack White to be associated with bullshit like this, so maybe it would have been better.

I wish this album never happened.

No comments: