Monday, May 28, 2007

Review - Silversun Pickups


Silversun Pickups
Carnavas
Dangerbird
2006




Grade: C+





I think I remember hearing comparisons to the Smashing Pumpkins as far as Silversun Pickups music goes, and I definitely agree. This band loves the 90’s and lets it show. This album didn’t have too much that is going to make me want to come back and put it on again, though there are a good three songs I’d probably want to hear again. I’ve actually listened to those three songs again since I first listened to the album. The singer does a sing to yell kind of thing that reminds me of Jim from Sparta at times. At other times he sounds like he’s trying to sing like a girl, or that could be the woman in the band, it’s hard to tell. The songs on this album are all decently long with the shortest clocking in at 4 minutes. Some songs get better as they progress, but I think as a whole the album struggles to create a vibe for itself and sell you on an entire album listen. Meaning this isn’t an album that’s one that’s better when you listen to the entire album all the way through every time. I’d definitely recommend giving this album a listen though and deciding on your own.

For fans of Smashing Pumpkins, Abandoned Pools, and Sparta (maybe).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's funny that you reviewed this album becuase i bought it when i bought the new BRMC album and i was afraid to tell you that i got it for fear that you hated it and would make fun of me